The Pioneer Boulvevard History Project
May 3, 1875
The Artesia schoolhouse is built at the corner of Main Street and Orange Avenue. The building is heated by wood-burning stove and water comes from an artesian well.
November 11, 1876

According to the Artesia-Cerritos United Methodist Church: "On November 11, 1876, the local Methodist Church was formed in a public school house, with a preacher who pastored in both Westminster and Artesia. From that day to this the love of God has bound the church family together in faith, friendship, and service. God has blessed this congregation with a heritage of hope and a legacy of love." It is located at 18523 S. Arline Avenue.

January 22, 1882
According to legend, at the dedicaton of Artesia's M.E. Church while Reverend Charles Shelling is delivering the dedicatory sermon, the hardest "blow" in the vicinity tears off the roofs of barns and houses and kills Mr. Walker's horse.
February 3, 1882
Mr D. Gridley, a "projector" for Artesia, reports that Norwalk, New River and Artesia combined have 300 school children, an unusually high number in proportion to the Census and believes that alfalfa, hogs, deciduous trees and corn will be profitable in Artesia. Well borer businessman J. J. Meador retires due to illness. J. W. and Mr. G. Miller have some of the largest apricot and peach trees for their age: 15'-16' diameter 3 year-old trees. The road from Artesia to Anaheim and Westminster is recently declared a public highway but still has no bridge across Coyote Creek, which lies on private property.
July 13,1882
Messrs. Hellman, Hans & Company's cheese companies expand to nine factories. Their “cheese finds a market readily at 12 ½ cents per pound, uncased,” and they sell an “average of three thousand pounds per week.”
March 27, 1883
Most of Artesia attends the trial of People versus Mr Carpenter in Los Angeles for the attempted murder of Mr. Gridley with a double-barreled shotgun. Mr. Carpenter quarrels with one of Mr. Gridley's sons over the supposed imposition of Mr. Gridley onto his property in the course of building a ditch. Mr. Carpenter loses, and in a fit of retribution aims a gun at Mr. Gridley that is diverted by one of his sons right before firing. More than 50 character witnesses are summoned for the case.
January 1, 1885
The population for Artesia is about 300. Also, there are several wells Artesia that supply the area with water.
February 3, 1886
I.F Branch is raising hogs in Artesia and Miss Eliza Law, sister to Mrs. W. H Smith, has arrived in Artesia from Livingston County, Illinois to stay permanently. Potatoes, alfalfa, vineyards, apples and almond trees are reportedly being grown in Artesia by other residents.
January 1, 1887

Anaheim and Artesia are described as “25 miles southeast from LA and 12 miles from the coast.” It is the first settlement in Southern California established on the colony plan. The Germans who fed the area with “irrigated water” also originally settled Anaheim. Artesia is “an agricultural settlement 3 miles south of Norwalk” that gets its name from the many Artesian wells in the area. Artesia is “generally devoted to grain, grass, and stock.”
August 22, 1888
Artesian Ernest Staysa accidentally shoots himself with his own rifle after laying the weapon in a wagon bed. The rifle charges accidentally and the bullet hits him in the chest, killing him instantly.
April 7, 1892
Edward G. Gillespie obtains a patent for a “music leaf turner.”
March 1, 1895
Thompson Jr. discovers the remains of what is believed to be a 40-year-old man at the Stockton ranch. A “skull, a thighbone, femur, and may other pieces” are found when Thompson Jr. is plowing the former old barnyard. It creates “a great deal of excitement” for the inhabitants of Artesia.
January 15, 1900
Artesia is described as located 17 mi SE of Los Angeles via the railroad and has a population of about 300, based on the recent vote, many of which are new settlers. The area is mainly farmland for staple grains and fruits with Artesian wells that ensure a steady reliable supply of water. There is also "a hotel, general store, agricultural implement house, blacksmith shop, and a "handsome" schoolhouse built in 1875." Artesia is opening a brand new industrial school for boys in the Southern part of Los Angeles County. The school will provide for the homeless, abandoned, or neglected boys. A 40-acre ranch has been purchased at a cost of $400, and the project is being funded by benevolent Los Angeles residents.
June 24, 1900
Children's Industrial Home Society (CIHS) is established and the work of "training their hands and minds, and developing character have been well begun. Useful trades are taught the little waifs, who were picked up in the streets and removed from temptation." The inmates take a "keen interest in themselves, their lessons and teachers" and "appear to be appreciative and well pleased with their surroundings." CHIS is one mile from Artesia and is run by Dr. Uriah Gregory & Mrs. Gregory, assisted by Mrs. Pugh, "who is cook and matron." Mrs. H. F. Bridges is the teacher. There is nationwide financial assistance but the building still remains unplastered, unfinished and unpainted. The Sloyd work and dormitory room has yet to be completed and a new pump is needed for the 460 foot well for irrigation.
October 29, 1902
Frank Seppi, a dairy rancher in Artesia, shoots his wife at point blank range in front of their three children. Louis Seppi, the oldest son at 16, says that his father and mother had been arguing over a domestic affair. His mother’s last words were “Shoot, if you are going to.” After the murder, Louis Seppi runs to a nearby officer who then promptly and peacefully arrests Frank Seppi.
November 1905
Artesia residents debate whether they should be included in Orange County instead of Los Angeles County. Santa Ana, Fullerton and Anaheim favor passing the resolution to add Artesia to Orange County.

Frank M. Bell's wife is divorcing him. She is represented by O.P. Widaman of Artesia. A few months after the divorce proceedings, Widaman and Arthur R. Sanger, a brother of Mrs. Bell visit Bell’s apartment at the Hollenbeck Hotel to discuss business matters. Shots are fired followed by Sanger and Widaman rushing out of the hotel. Bell has Widaman and Sanger arrested and claims Widaman fired one shot intentially and charged with assault, and the second shot was accidentally discharged by himself. The complaints against Widaman and Sanger are dismissed by Police Judge Chambers. Bell then travels to Mexico and returns on June 25, when he is arrested the following day on a complaint sworn to by Sanger, accusing him of perjury. Bell’s preliminary examination of the charge is set for tomorrow in Justice Ling’s court. Bell claims he was driven to desperation in order to regain control of his property in El Paso, Texas. Bell is known for spending money freely but yesterday said he is without a cent.

July 3, 1908
On June 27, 1908, Mrs. Elizabeth G. Gray secretly marries Jacob Stubbs of Long Beach. Mrs. Gray is 66 years old and Mr. Stubbs is 76 years old. Mrs. Gray has been a resident of Pasadena for five years and lives at 456 Summit Street and is a trained nurse. The wedding took place in Artesia where they will make their new home together in a small ranch. Every precaution is taken to keep the marriage a secret. Mrs. Gray signs her marriage contract with her middle name, Gertrude, instead of her first name. Her neighbors and friends never think she would take such steps and some even deny she is married. The couple are from Ohio and meet almost a quarter of a century ago. They also live in Wichita. Kansas. When each gets married for the first time, they live in San Jose and their houses are close to each other. At one point, both lose their spouses to death. After knowing each other for such a long time, they decide to step up their friendship. Mr. Stubbs is prominent among the Quakers in Los Angeles, and Mrs. Stubbs is formerly a close friend of Governor Leland Stanford.
December 11, 1908
"Hindus" are hired as laborers in Los Angeles and Santa Monica. The racism that Hindus face makes them more and more likely to remove their turbans, especially in the north. Before 1908, many of the Hindus in Southern California are described as “educated upper-class” individuals. Now they do manual labor-related work for minimum wage “uncomplainingly.”
January 12, 1909
Both George C. Buehn and the Artesia Vineyard Company at Artesia are been granted winery licenses.
January 31, 1909
“Seventy turban wearers arrive at Riverside” to pick oranges. They are “Hindus brought… to compete with the Japanese and white labor.” They all arrived “over the Salt Lake last evening…wearing turbans and a modified form of their native dress.”
April 30, 1909
The Artesia vineyard explodes, causing Frederick Thompson, a winemaker to be fatally injured.
August 1909

Attorney Fleming summons the police to a small building in the rear of the Fleming home in Hollywood. Fleming tells the officers that on seeking Bell, he found him bound and gagged here. Knowing Bell is penniless, officers believe that Bell had bound himself, perhaps with the help of a friend, in order to create sympathy for his upcoming trial.

August 29, 1909

The Williams Brothers company of Artesia with offices in the Herman W. Hellman building report calmer business during July and August but are taxed as if they are a rapidly growing business. Orange and walnut groves are in great demand, although there is call for small ranches for diversified farming. They report the following sales in Artesia.

A ten-acre improved ranch near Artesia, H. W. Brown to W. W. Garner of Wilmington, consideration $4000.

A twenty-six acre improved ranch near Artesia, fine eight-room house, ten acres in alfalfa, and  great water system. M. J. Spencer to W. P. Cherry of Ontario; price paid, $8000.

Twenty acres of unimproved land about three miles west of Artesia, C. J. Morrison to Mrs. N. E. Remington, prince, $6000.

Five Acres near Artesia, Fred Luer to Harry Olson of San Pedro, consideration, $2600.
September 21, 1909

Frank M. Bell, for the second time within four months, is in the county jail, charged with possession a deadly weapon with intent to commit an assault on attorney O. P. Widaman of Artesia. Bell is known as a yachtsman and landed proprietor and has financial and domestic problems for almost two years. Bell, now penniless, explains, “I am dependent on the kindness of my attorney, Mr. Fleming, for what I eat and the place I sleep, I am even wearing a pair of socks give to me by him.” Bell is arrested by Chief Detective, Samuel L. Browne of the District Attorney’s office yesterday morning, September 21, 1909. Mr. Brown is warned by telephone call about suspicious movement at Widaman’s home in Artesia. When Mr. Brown reaches Martha’s Vineyard station, near Artesia, he sees Bell walking along the track of Pacific Electric and later finds a revolver in the grass by the roadway, dropped by Bell. When Bell is interrogated, he claims his intent is not to shoot Widaman but to scare Widaman and have him promise to tell the truth when he takes the witness stand in Justice Ling’s court on Thursday. Bell admits, “I wanted to tell him if he got on the stand in that case and told what as not the truth, I would kill him the first opportunity given me.” Widaman refuses to comply.

January 2, 1910
There are many real estate transactions related to Artesia property. C.J. Oberly of Hollywood purchases a “forty-acre alfalfa ranch near Artesia” from W.H. Smith for $12,000 in order to “erect some new buildings.” A.M. Desmond of Los Angeles purchases “thirty-three acres near Artesia” from Mrs. Anna Gregory for $11,500. “This property has a nine-room house, a good pumping plant and will be set to alfalfa.” Jennie Carothers of Los Angeles purchases a “twenty-acre alfalfa ranch near Artesia” from C.M. Barnard for $7,000.
January 1910
Widaman informs District Attorney Fredericks that Bell has been seen by residents of Artesia, hiding in a nearby shrub by Widaman’s home. District Attorney Browne is called to investigate and finds Bell walking along the railroad track. Bell throws his revolver away when he sees Browne. During Justice Ling’s court, Bell explains he had gone to Artesia with the intention of committing suicide but decided not to until he had spoke with Widaman. Bell is set free because there is not enough evidence to produce a warrant in order to hold him for trial in the Superior Court.
June 26, 1910
The Teddy Bears "annexed" the Artesia Clouters by a 10 to 6 score. The Bears get three errors total against them while Artesia make four misses. The Artesia Team consists of Gorton, short stop; Ribbles, first base; Scott, second base, Fruett, left field; Garison, third base; Parson, center; Sproul, center field; Stone, right field; Lilliard, pitcher.
July 1, 1910

According to the Los Angeles Times a "bunch of Mexicans" wreak havoc on Main Street and one named Delaz la Delaz refuses to back down to Constable Tom Ray of Norwalk. Instead, he shows law enforcement his .44 and calls an uneasy truce. The Times recounts the moment:

Constable Ray had covered one of the gang with his revolver and proceeded to hold a council of war with the Mexicans. He saw that if he should shoot he would be riddled with bullets, so he addressed himself to the Mexican whom he covered, and proposed to him that each side back then "beat it." It was agreeable to the Mexicans and that line of retreat was followed out. Constable Ray returned to Norwalk.

The next day, another confrontation occurs when Delaz la Delaz returns to Artesia to purchase more ammunition. Again, the Times reports how Ray fails to capture him:

Delaz looked at him sadly. Then slowly reaching inside his shirt front, he produced a large red bandana handkerchief and began unrolling it. Slowly but patiently the Mexican unfolded each fold at length produced a revolver of the ancient derringer type, with JPJ engraved on the handle.

Ray backs down and Delaz is still at large.
July 23, 1910

Two hundred people witness Frank M. Bell shoot O. P. Widaman on the Santa Ana electric line. Widaman leaves his home in Artesia yesterday morning to go to work at his downtown law firm. He goes to the Artesia station for the Pacific Electric line. Almost immediately upon arriving at 8:15 a.m., a two-car train from Santa Ana bound for Los Angeles stops in Artesia. When Widaman enters the front car, he encounters Bell, holding a revolver at him. Widaman reverses his steps, but is too late. Bell fires and after the third shot, Widaman falls. Bell walks over Widaman's body and fires two more times at him. Three men then capture Bell and disarm him. Widaman's words to Bell are: “I’m shot; may God have mercy on my soul! I’m dying!” Widaman is placed aboard the second car, while E. E. Noon, a young attorney who lives at Artesia, is deputized under Constable Cochran. Noon takes charge of Bell and places him aboard the first car as a crowd begins shouting, “Lynch him! String him up! Cut his tongue out! We want Bell!”

Dr. C. J. Otis tries to save Widaman and many try to calm down Mrs. Widaman. She says, “I knew that Bell had shot my husband, we have lived in dread of him for many months.” When arriving at the Pacific Electric station, a police ambulance rushes Widaman to the California Hospital, where, eight minutes before 10 p.m., one hour and thirty-seven minutes after being shot, Widaman dies. Dr. W. G. Campbell of Orr & Edwards’ undertaking parlors examines Widaman’s body after it is removed from the hospital. Three of the five shots were fatal; two bullets are in Widaman’s neck  and a third one is in abdomen, where internal hemorrhaging results in death.     

Bell is informed by Sheriff Hammel that any attorney he might name will be sent to him. Bell wants attorneys Fleming and Sturgis, and he is placed in county jail. Journalists request to view Widaman's body and the Sheriff escorts them to the outer door of a lower tank with a barred window, where the body is held. Bell appears to be feeling ashamed of the premeditated murder when interviewed by the Sheriff.

Mrs. Widaman is visited by H. R. Musser of the Aggeler & Musser Seed company, a close friend of Widaman since his arrival to Los Angeles. Musser comforts Mrs. Widaman and relays how Mr. Widaman was happy with his life and very satisfied with his ranch at Artesia.

It is believed Bell had been staying with friends waiting for a chance to shoot Widaman, instead of being in Texas as was commonly believed. Widaman’s brother-in-law, D. W. Davisson protects Widaman’s office after the news of his death, fearing Bell’s friends might try to remove evidence that could be used against Bell in the case. Friends and relatives of Mrs. Widaman visit the ranch home in Artesia and remove many of the personal effects.

July 27, 1910

July 26, 1910 - "Seven Hindus in picturesque garb with turbans topping their brown faces" look for O. P. Widaman, unaware that he has been shot and killed, according to the Los Angeles Herald Examiner. They are not able to speak English and their attempts be understood to Hendrick D. Canne, the Justice of the Peace for the Cahuenga township, cause a scene. According to Canne, seven Hindu men under the leadership of Hazera Sing want Widaman to represent them in a case now pending in Canne’s court. When they find out of Widaman’s death, they uttered many expressions of surprise and appear to be greatly "excited." The men are carpenters working under Sing, a contractor, and they leave the scene in a streetcar.

August 19, 1910

The Pioneer Rolls play against Long Beach Y. M. C. A, in Long Beach for Amateur Sunday Baseball Games. The Pioneers and Santa Monica play in Santa Monica for Amateur Sunday Baseball Games. The Sanchu Japanese play against Artesia, at Artesia for Amateur Sunday Baseball Games.

August 13, 1910
Artesians feel terrorized by "cholos" drunk on "dago red" wine after Jose Rayes is killed in a brawl overnight. According to the Los Angeles Times:

This is only another of the many acts of lawlessness that this gang of Mexicans have indulged in around Artesia in the last few months. So far there has appeared no officer brave enough to try to arrest the gang, though several have made unsuccessful attempts. Member of the same gang have resisted officers, displayed weapons and committed other acts of an illegal kind on the business stress of this place, keeping the people in a state of terror. Peace officers have been notified, but appear to be afraid of the Cholos. It is sincerely hoped by Artesia people that something will now be doe by the authorities to put a stop to this lawlessness.

September 6, 1910
Lucy Sackett is killed when she is thrown from a runaway buggy on return from a buggy ride with Oliver Robbins to Long Beach. A robber attempts to stop the buggy and scares the horses. She is the daughter of Artesia's oldest living resident W.A. Sackett.
September 17, 1911
Soil in Artesia is described as very fertile and a great flow of water allows its residents to achieve great success at growing many crops, as water is accessible through subterranean lakes and strata.
October 11, 1911
Artesia's beet farmers meet to petition the Beet Growers of Southern California to raise the price of beets $1 per ton. One hundred growers meet in order to ensure profit on their investment on their estimated yearly growth of 760,000 tons of beets.
November 10, 1911
Crows return to Artesia expecting heavy rain in the winter. Birds are living in the willows southwest of the San Gabriel River. Artesian residents welcome the return of the crows.
November 20, 1916
Artesians cannot agree on sharing the community's school house for public meetings and it is feared the decision must be decided by the state Supreme Court. George R. Frampton and Carl Lohn of the Board of Trustees decide to not share the schoolhouse but the Artesia Congress of Mothers want to have the facility open for public meetings and use by other organizations. The Mothers' request is denied by Judge Works who asserts that the Board of Trustees has the right to decide the use of the building. The Congress of Mothers plan to appeal his decision with the California Supreme Court.
July 28, 1917
Santoa Abila of Artesia, finally claims the bride he has fought months to win. Almost a year ago Abila asks Antonia Marino’s father for his daughter's hand in marriage and is denied and told Antonia she is too young at 15-years-old, and the prospective son-in-law is not satisfactory enough for Mr. Marino. Mr. Abila waits and one night meets with his future spouse. They run away to get married in Riverside. Constable Freeman of Artesia is notified and a charge of abduction is placed on Abila. The Constable arrives before the marriage license is signed, and the young couple is arrested and taken back to Artesia. Abila goes to jail and Antonia back home. Antonia's brothers Joe and Frank persuade their father to dismiss the abduction but only if they are wed immediately. Mr. Abila allows this but makes the couple sign an iron-clad agreement, allowing Antonia to stay home for year so that she may learn how to cook, clean and sew. The only wish Abila expresses is that he be allowed to visit his bride in her parents' presence. After signing all the agreements, Abila discovers there is a law that prevents anyone from separating man and wife, and all he needs is a lawyer. He contracts an attorney and Mr. Marino is ordered to appear in the Supreme Court under Judge Willis. The father presents the previous signed agreement and the court decides the bride should stay home. After the wait is over, the young couple will move to a little home in Artesia fitted by the groom.
March 25, 1919
$25,000 in Liberty Bonds and Thrift Stamps is stolen from the First National Bank of Artesia in the early morning. The group of five use nitroglycerin to blast open the bank vault doors. The group is interrupted by law enforcement half way through the heist and do not steal items beyond the safety deposit box contents.
May 18, 1919
Frances Harris and Lewis Harris (husband and wife) are accused of stealing $27,000 in “Liberty Bonds and Thrift Stamps” from an Artesia bank. Frances Harris was brought to LA from a train from Denver accompanied only with Deputy Sherriff Nettie J. Yaw. Several detectives in Denver at first wanted to prohibit Ms. Yaw from traveling alone with Harris after hearing of an escape plot. The trip lasted two days and two nights and Mrs. Yaw watched her prisoner the entire time. Her “successful tip is considered a notable feat, as this is said to be the first time that any woman officer was sent on such a long trip alone, and for such a prisoner.” Mrs. Harris is said to be an accomplice of Mr. Harris in the Artesia Bank robbery on March 20th.
August 10, 1919
Lewis B. Harris is convicted of robbing the First National Bank of Artesia on March 25. He steals $37,000 in Liberty Bonds and War Saving Stamps. The Los Angeles Times describes the London born, New York raised immigrant as a "typical East Side Hebrew" with a history in trafficking in stolen goods.
August 26, 1928
D. H. Clymer reports that there is a huge demand in Southern California for capons (roosters bred for eating). This demand is met by Artesia's California Capon Poultry Ranch at 716 Burbank Street. Capons are a delicacy and different "members" of the Ranch take turns breeding them on a weekly basis. According to the Ranch's manager, capons should be at least ten to twelve months hold before slaughtering them to eat.
January 5, 1930
The Los Angeles Times reports on F. B. Wallis' amazing cacti garden on his one acre place, two miles south of Artesia. "In all, Mr. Wallis has about 300 different species, collected from all over the world. Some of these cacti resemble delicate ferns, others grow into trees fifteen feet high; some have the general proportions of fence posts, and still others grow like vines, bearing fruit remarkable for color and taste."
April 19, 1930
C.C. Julian of Julian Petroleum and two companions are fined $100 for assaulting J. A. Smith of United Oil Well Supply Company in Artesia. Smith is suing Julian Petroleum over his leasing of oil property to Julian. According to the United Oil Well Supply Company, Julian also owes it $11,000 and used this opportunity to lay its claim against Julian who lives in Oklahoma.
March 5, 1931
Health Authorities seek another warrant to arrest R.A. Ball in Artesia for selling Jamaica Ginger Extract. The poisonous drug has cost two veterans their lives and left 200 paralyzed all around Los Angeles County. Ball has already been fined for his drugstore on Telegraph Road and Norwalk Avenue in Santa Fe Springs.
July 3, 1931
The First National Bank of Artesia is victim to bank robbery again. A youthful "bandit trio" robs the bank at gun point and takes away $1,467. After getting the money, the robber who entered the bank escapes in one of two automobiles and drove to Main and Anaheim Streets where he switched cars. The trio is on a crime spree--the day before they rob Simmons Cafe of $31 and Slim's Barbeque in Downey of $12.
January 10, 1932
James E. Stones, 86 years old, has died at his home in Artesia. He was a “Pioneer Freight Teamster.” He leaves his widow and six children.
November 22, 1932
5,000 spectators enjoy over a mile and a half of forty floats as part of the Harvest Festival and Homecoming.
According to Albert O. Little, the name of "Main Street" is changed to "Pioneer Boulevard" after the 1933 earthquake. The post office is rebuilt and the women’s club is restored. Before World War II, Clifton School was built on 183rd Street, west of Pioneer Boulevard, which is now, City Hall. By 1955 the dairymen takeover Artesia and hold an annual Artesia Dairy Fair in June. The fair mostly includes a live stock show for 4-H Club members but commercial firms like, Adohr and Excelsior, participate to encourage the younger generation to become dairy owners.
August 20, 1933
The Los Angeles Times reports that a beet dump in Artesia has become a place for homeless men to hang out. The newspaper refers to them as "hobos." The place is known as a "hobo hotel." And according to the newspaper: "According to the tramp, the Artesia jungle is looked upon as a summer resort in the best hobo circles and considered an ideal spot in which to rest after an extended period of traveling. There are makeshift shelters under the beet dump and a "cook house" has been arranged."
October 6, 1937
According to the Los Angeles Times: "Events of early American history were depicted this afternoon" at the "The Spirit of 1776" Artesia Pageant Parade along the boulevard, part of the Harvest Festival sponsored by the Artesia Chamber of Commerce. 500 children from the Artesia grammar school participated, with "each grade [representing] a definite period of history". "Pilgrims, British Red Coat soldiers, girls in old-fashioned pantalettes, stately colonial soldiers, Indians and plantation Negroes passed in review". Each group did a short skit including vaudeville acts and a marionette parade with 50 "magic string characters". There were also athletic events offered throughout the day. J. Brundage was the MC, with Jack Spencer on piano and "Dr. P. F. Haskell [as the 6-time] parade marshal and general chairman and instigator of the harvest festival. "It is one of the most outstanding annual events offered by the community."
February 23, 1947
$12M (~$122.3M 2011 dollars) worth of hay will be purchased this year to feed the some 40,000 cows at the dairies, "the greatest number in the history of the industry". 100 loads of hay, 1500 tons ($48,000 in 1947 dollars) will be brought in daily starting in early April for about 6 months, for a total of 273,000 tons ($8,736,000). In the off-season, up to an additional 100,000 tons of hay are expected to be brought in.
February 1, 1950
An ad for a “Horse Ranch” in Artesia boasts that the property has a “1/2-mile track, 22 box stalls” and “50 acres of lush pasture with plenty of water.”
December 13, 1953
The construction of a “$58,359, four-classroom addition to Killingsworth School is anticipated by January 1.” Enrollment at Killingsworth and Bloomfield schools is 1,103, which is “the highest in the district’s history.”
March 21, 1954
A freeway at the cost of $14,500,000 is scheduled to be built in 1958. The project is estimated to take two years to complete and it will link Bellflower and Buena Park. The freeway is 7 and a half miles in length and “crosses the San Gabriel River to at Artesia Blvd, runs east to Studebaker Road, turns northeast to cross Grindley Road between Artesia Blvd, and 170th St. and turns east again and crosses Norwalk Blvd."
August 22, 1954
Artesia celebrates the Portuguese Holy Ghost Feast, a three day festival marking the miraculous end of a famine in Portugal 600 years ago in answer to the prayers of Queen Isabella.
October 24, 1954
Vice President Richard Nixon gives the official dedication speech for the new Artesia High School. The Artesia High School Band entertains the new school, which opened on September 20 and has 525 freshmen and sophomores.
August 28, 1955
Dairyland Incorporation, a consortium of dairies in the Artesia area, propose the creation of a super city of dairies to be named Dairyland. Additionally, the community of Dairy Valley is proposed as a separate municipality and have 4,000 residents, 400 dairies, 120,000 cow that would produce approximately $80 million worth of milk per year.
October 30, 1955
Chrysanthemums will be displayed all over Artesia on Friday and Saturday for the first annual Artesia Chrysanthemum Festival. Events will include a pet parade directed under Mrs. Charles Carver, general chairman, president of Artesia Woman's Club. The Festival will open with business establishments from Pioneer Boulevard, between Alondra and Del Amo Boulevards. Awards will be given to the most attractive arrangement. Saturday will start with a parade at Artesia Park and a Flower Show at 18522 Pioneer Street.
January 22, 1956
The Dairy Valley, which includes Artesia, has been proposed for incorporation. Incorporated would change boundaries in the city and will also have “possible changes in taxes, assessments, sanitation districts” among other things. Many people in the community though are fighting against incorporation threatening that there would be a loss of “population expansion” and money.
May 27, 1956

According to the Los Angeles Times: "Residents of Dutch and Portuguese background are cooperating in a four-day Artesia Dairyland Fair starting at 5 p.m. Tuesday in Artesia Park." Norwalk, Bellflower and Artesia-Dairy Valley will be presenting events from Thursday through Saturday respectively.

The Fair's highlight, a parade with "hay trucks, milk tankers, military units, school bands, marching groups, commercial floats and several ice-club entries" will start at 10:30 a.m. at Pioneer and Alondra Blvd. and move south to South St. and east to the Artesia Fair Grounds.

The hundreds of dairies, which annually produce more than $8M in milk products, will be open with some playing host to visitors at the fair. The fair opens Tuesday with the "coronation of a queen at 8 p.m., a musical program by Artesia High School Band and A Cappella Choir under the direction of the John Henderson."

Marilyn Plemon is one individual seeking the title of Artesia Dairyland Fair Queen. Maria Model Crescent D, prize-winning Holstein will also be in attendance. On Memorial Day the first 1,000 youngsters will receive free carnival rides, the Artesia Youth Co-coordinating Council will be hosting a talent show and there will be a fiddlers' contest with "$100 in prizes."

On Thursday, Norwalk Day, the Artesia School program will open at 7:30 p.m. followed by the Excelsior High School swing band. The Norwalk Chamber of Commerce variety show will begin at 9 p.m. Bellflower Day, Friday, will open with the Bloomfield School program, followed by the Bellflower High School freshman girls' chorus, and the Bellflower Chamber of Commerce variety show. Saturday, Artesia-Dairy Valley Day will have four special events at Artesia Park.

There will be a hay-bucking contest and a special awards program. The Dutch game of Kuipje Steken, which involves spearing a hole in a trap door or being doused with water, will also be open to fairgoers throughout the duration of the fair.

August 12, 1956
Mrs. Barbara Fowler of 12215 195th Street in Artesia is organizing a babysitter co-op to meet the babysitting demands of the community. To date, there are four sitters in the co-op and Fowler is seeking more baby sitters for the group.
February 10, 1957
The Cerritos Junior College elects its first student body officers.
October 7, 1957
Warren G. Heine of 12214 185th Street is sentenced to pay $25 and be on probation for charges of inebriation, illegal discharge of firearms and making a false report to law officers. Heine was "playing a joke" on his wife and faked his suicide after barricading himself in the family den and firing his gun. Heine also scratched his chest in order to make it look like a gunshot wound.
February 16, 1958
Artesians are proud of the girls who keep track of the boys' athletics. Girls do not compete in competitive sports, but keep track of the accomplishments of their male counterparts. The girls are called boosters and keep the statistics of the best athletes.
October 12, 1958
State governor Knight recognizes the Artesia High School newspaper, “The Californian,” named after the first published newspaper in the state by the same name. The governor recognizes how “The Californian” documents “the state’s colorful history.”
May 29, 1959
The City of Artesia is incorporated on May 29, 1959 with the motto "Service Builds Tomorrow's Progress."
May 26, 1963
Robert Velkov is cured of his hiccups through hypnosis. The 25 year-old has been plagued by hiccups for sixteen days and is exhausted.
October 1964
Due to World War II labor shortages, Mexican workers known as Braceros are brought to the United States as contract laborers to pick crops and work in other industries. The plan originally is to last only while the nation’s farmers are away fighting the war but the Bracero program does not end until the Kennedy Administration examines the system and deems inhumane in 1964. However, Artesia suffers from the lack of free labor and repeatedly asks for county support. According to the Los Angeles Times the president of the Artesia Growers Association asks the county to subsidize farmers who accept welfare recipients as workers. "Farmers dependent upon imported supplemental labor say they have made every possible effort to recruit an adequate number of substitutes from the domestic work force but without success." They want to recruit Mexican labor when the Bracero program formally ends in December. Los Angeles county adopts a five point program that requires farmers to pay a minimum wage of $1.25 an hour to any welfare recipient who is assigned to the fields. Growers hate the plan because it requires they provide adequate sanitary facilities, acceptable employment conditions, transportation and steady employment if the work is available.
Artesia's population is 13,353.
Los Angeles Times reporter Jessica Lee traces the history of the Indian population in Artesia for a 1995 article and notes it begins when Selecto Spices moves to the neighborhood from Hollywood. Selecto Spices is noted as the first Indian grocery store in Southern California.

"The seeds for what would become Little India were planted in 1971 when Balkishan Lahoti, a Cerritos resident, began selling spices and foods out of an Artesia garage. Lahoti later moved his business to Bellflower, but other Indian merchants began setting up shop on Pioneer to cater to the large Indian population in Cerritos, which borders Artesia on three sides.”

May 9, 1971
Artesians will soon decide if Artesia and Cerritos can share government after 15 years of separation. If rejected the cities will continue with the boundaries they have now. Gene Emmons chairman of the pro-consolidation has been circulating a petition in Artesia to put these two cities together way before it was even a question to the voters. This is not the first time, in 1968 an attempt was made under the 1909 State Consolidation Act but a homeowners petition killed it. Passing such an act in Artesia would abolish Artesia's current 68 cents per $100 assessed valuation tax rate because of the sales taxes in Cerritos. Sheriff costs will rise next year if joined; otherwise Artesia will face a reduction in police protection or levy taxes to keep the same level of service.
May 13, 1971
Artesia voters decide to not consolidate with Cerritos--the final vote is 1,140 yes and 1,362 against. Artesia considers joining Cerritos due to fiscal problems but the community decides against joining Cerritos. According to city manager Johnston, Artesia is hopeful about its growth: "We are now in the heart of the fastest growing area in the county. The economy is loosening up and the interest rates are going down. I think things will things will begin to move soon. This area has grown from a dairyland to an area, which will have 80,000 people in a few years. Those people are going to bring money into our commercial area, despite arguments that our Pioneer Blvd. stores aren't what they used to be."
June 16, 1971
Artesian Mayor Gordon Herrema appoints a seven-member panel of merchants to create a plan to revitalize Pioneer Boulevard. Herrema is afraid that the age of the merchants, which is older than typical merchants, are losing potential customers and their group of returning customers is also aging. The focus on the panel will be Pioneer Boulevard, south of 186th Street.
July 29, 1971

The Los Angeles Times interviews Albert Little on his knowledge of the history of Artesia. Little is known as "Mr. Artesia" for his knowledge and commitment to the place. Little arrived in Artesia in 1927 and opens an auto parts store and later works for the Chamber of Commerce. He notes that Artesia's best times are yet to come: "You see, each generation builds for its own needs. When that generation wears out, another generation comes along and builds for its needs. Stick around. You find out that, at last around here, that's the way things change. Our highest and best use will come in the future."

People keep telling Albert O. Little Artesia is dying but he believes it is only changing. Little adds, “Each generation builds for its own needs, when that generation wears out, another generation comes along and builds for its needs.” He points to a Pioneer Boulevard store and says, “That place had the largest supply of equipment for chicken farming you’d ever want to see.” Little explains how once Artesia was catering to hog farmers, so they changed their stock, and then the farmers came and they changed their inventory again. Little explains how he arrived to Artesia before there were any cows in 1927 when he opens an auto parts store. He later works for the Chamber of Commerce where he earns the informal title of "Mr. Artesia." Little shares a letter from the U.S. Post Office Department and reads the first paragraph: You are hereby authorized to establish rural free delivery from your office to commence on Saturday, February 1, 1902, with two carriers at a salary of $500 per annum, including horse hire." Little describes how a series of development companies promote the Artesia area shortly after the turn of the century. Selling points include the town’s passenger railroad depot (now the site of a roofing firm).

Artesia becomes the trade center for a farming area, which includes: Hawaiian Gardens, East Lakewood and Cerritos. The train service continues through World War II and a ride from Artesia to Los Angeles was about a quarter. The railroad station then becomes sugar beet storage grounds. This is the best sugar beet area for a while until sugar grows everywhere says Little. There is a winery at the northeast corner of Artesia and Pioneer. Grapes, onions, cabbage, and cauliflowers are other farming products produced in Artesia but the 1929 crash hurts all the farmers. Tom Ryan brother of Thelma Ryan has cauliflowers growing on what is now Artesia City Park around 1930. Tom’s daughter, Pat then marries a Whittier College graduate named Richard Nixon.

Main Street in Artesia then changes to Pioneer Boulevard after the 1933 earthquake. The post office is rebuilt and the women’s club is restored. Before World War II, Clifton School was built on 183rd Street, west of Pioneer Boulevard, which is now, City Hall. By 1955 the dairymen takeover Artesia and hold an annual Artesia Dairy Fair in June. The fair mostly includes a live stock show for 4-H Club members but commercial firms like, Adohr and Excelsior, participate to encourage the younger generation to become dairy owners.

August 17, 1972
Carol Marie Herrema is Miss Artesia and has been named Miss California. She is the granddaughter of one of the community's first dairies. Mary Barber of the Los Angeles Times describes her as a "serious student and none of this women's lib nonsense." Herrema expands: "I don't pay much attention to women's liberation. I think every girl should join a pageant. It gives you a wonderful feeling of confidence, and I didn't get the feeling of being exploited at all. It was all very nice and exciting and lots of fun. I enjoy having doors opened for me, having men pay the tab. I can see equal pay for work and all that, but this women's lib thing has gone a little too far."
September 1973
Artesia Evening High School begins and provides an opportunity for high school students who prefer to work full time during the day, to study in the evenings to complete their education. It is the third program of its kind in California and there are forty students enrolled in the program by December.
September 14, 1975
Artesia is growing after seven developers receive approval for their commercial projects. Artesia continues to grow despite its worries that the new Los Cerritos Center will remove business from the area. Many claim that “eliminating the property tax [which] was 43.5 cents per $100 assessed valuation” is the reason why these developers flock to Artesia. Additionally, the widening of Pioneer Blvd “has encouraged local shopping.”
May 1, 1977
Jess Unruh, state treasurer gets his son to work as an Artesian city employee and has his do jobs like pulling weeds and umpiring youth ball games. City Manager MD "Mac" McKeown, a close friend of Unruh, hires Bruce for a six-month probationary period. Bruce is pursuing a degree in political science from USC but states he is still not sure about his future in government.
August 13, 1978

The City Council claims that the 96-unit Del Prado motel on Pioneer Blvd is actually an apartment complex operating under the guise of a motel, which is illegal because zoning laws prohibit apartments on the zone the motel, is located on.

The city claims that over “92.8% of the rentals” are done on a monthly basis and they therefore qualify as apartments and not as motels. Additionally, they claim that there are practices “of the motel not… characteristic of transient motels” such as “lack of posted daily rates in room, [and] a requirement that guests complete an ‘application to rent.’” They also claim that telephone service “must be obtained by individual residents” and that all these characteristics define the motel as an apartment complex.

February 11, 1978
Artesia High School's damaged victory bell is replaced by a bell from the USS Fullam, a Navy destroyer.
Babu and Varsha Patel open Neema Sari Palace in 1981 – fabric and clothing stores continue to account for Pioneer Boulevard’s retail draw. Many fabric stores sell chiffon and artificial silk saris – easier to maintain than traditional saris -  from Japan and Singapore, which non-resident Indians often take back to friends and family in India.
September 6, 1981
Artesia is described as a small town inside the larger community of Cerritos. There are annual Pioneer Days Celebrations at Goldilocks bakery on Pioneer Boulevard. Costumers come from all over to the tiny Philippine Bakery and the Bombay Store. The East Indian Market also attracts customers and sells items from Indian pickles to Indian hair oil. The Bionic Chicken is also an Artesian meeting place adjacent to many Dutch and Portuguese bakeries. The minority population around the Southeast/Long Beach has doubled in the last decade up to 48%. But that is not it--Asians and Pacific Islanders have also moved in causing 5% of the population. 22% of the people in Cerritos are Asians.
June 28, 1981
The Artesia Ice Company sets the record for selling more ice than ever before in its 52 years history. The record is achieved due to the sweltering heat--the temperature surpasses the 100 degrees. According to the owner of the family business Bill Frampton, the Artesia Ice Company is one of the few remaining ice companies in this area of Southern California. It pumps water from the wells, then the water is “put through a softening process then, frozen in a tank at the Pioneer Boulevard company that resembles a huge ice tray.”
August 8, 1982
Paula R. Gudino, daughter of Raymond and Margaret Renteria of Artesia, and Kris J. Sampat of Torrance, the son of Tayraj and Sayabi Kapadia of Bombay, India, marry on May 1 at Holy Family Catholic Church in Artesia. The bride and groom will live in Artesia. Some cite this cross-cultural wedding as an important sign in the ethnic development of the area.
August 23, 1985
After much delay in Congress and much time in construction, the interchange between the Artesia and Harbor Freeways opens and is expected to free up congestion that takes place during peak-hours when motorists attempt to merge into or off of the freeways. The interchange is being named after Edmond J. Russ, “a former Gardena mayor who… headed the transportation commission’s Route 91/110 Task Force, which pressed for completion of the freeway.”
Ziba Beauty Center is founded “with $2,000 and a mere 400 square feet.” Founded by businesswoman Kundan Sabarwal, the company now owns 15 stores in Southern California and 1 in Las Vegas. Ziba specializes in the art of threading, an ancient method of hair removal, as well as mehndi, henna tattoos traditionally applied to hands and feet for celebrations and festivals.
April 6, 1986

The Los Angeles Times frankly discusses the development of Artesia as an Asian Indian enclave known for their shops on Pioneer Boulevard, Artesia’s main street, like Ravi Merchant who has just opened his own spice and foods store. There are a few who resent the change in Artesia and complain that landlords like to rent out homes and apartments to Indians because they are “willingly to pay more.” The article notes that in the 1960s and early 1970s the Indians coming to the United States were “either students or professionals” who became physicians and engineers, who eventually brought over their families. These family members form the “business class that is servicing our growing community.” Most troubling, the article tracks the exodus of Artesians:

"Tired of "hassling" with the Indians, Gerald Herrema last year closed the coffee shop that his family had run in Artesia Plaza for 26 years and moved to the San Joaquin Valley. Hank's Coffee Shop had been a gathering place for local officials, shop owners and the dairy farmers who once ruled this region, where most mornings it was difficult to find a seat at the counter or an empty booth.

"The Indians would come, park and spend the whole day here," said Herrema, who now operates a small motel west of Modesto. "There was no parking. . . . Some of the Indians would leave their trash and dirty diapers in the lot. It was a mess."

To top it off, he said, the landlord bumped the lease $400 a month. "He knew full well we wouldn't pay for it," Herrema said. "But he had a half dozen Indians just waiting to sign on the dotted line."

August 28, 1986

Albert Osborne Little from Artesia is put on charge on gathering historical data and preparing an oral history of the 111-year-old community. Little first set foot in Artesia on 1927 and is 87 years old. Little says, “Some people believe there is a certain urgency to get this done, due to my antiquity.” City Council commissions Little and historian C. Richard Arena to develop an oral history program of the city. Albert O. Little is born in Moberly, Missouri, and works the oil fields around Long Beach, Huntington Beach, and Wilmington. He also owns and operates an auto parts store on Pioneer Boulevard. He is manager of the Chamber of Commerce for 10 years and fights efforts to consolidate the city with Cerritos. He continues to be the city’s photographer and documents events such as the Miss Artesia Pageant.

The City Council sets aside $6,500 for the development of the historical record. The money will be distributed to buy materials such as tape and typing paper, and $2,500 to pay history teachers for their services. Little will not be paid from the historical fund but will be paid for being the city’s official photographer and community promotion officer. The city will also buy a dictating machine, which will be used by Romig’s secretary Angie Roberts to transcribe tape recording of interviews conducted by Arena and Little of present and former Artesians. So far, they have conducted 29 interviews, including City Council members who served when the hamlet was incorporated in 1959. They expect to interview 35 people, and the majority of the interviews are conducted in Albert O. Little’s home on 187th Street, and going as far as Riverside to record oral histories.

Little’s main purpose is to contact as many of the early settlers, Dutch and Portuguese ancestry who populated Artesia in the "early years." Councilwoman Gretchen Whitney arrives in Artesia in 1938 and is elected in 1976 as the first and only woman to serve on the ABC Unified School District Board of Education for 20 years. Whitney High School in Cerritos is named after her. The first dentist to serve Artesia now lives in Long Beach where he is interviewed about his 1932 business on Pioneer Boulevard. Fred John Troost, 70, travels from Mira Loma in Riverside County to be interviewed. Troost is elected to the newly incorporated city’s first council. Troost came to Artesia in 1935, from Bloomfield, Iowa, and is a former dairy man. He now lives in Dairy Valley (now Cerritos), where he buys another dairy in 1961. Most are dairy workers or farmed crops, especially sugar beets, and hog farmers. Arena and Little also want to contact the newer settlers, including Indian merchants who own and operate stores on Pioneer Boulevard. Arena plans to interview people who might have known Pat Nixon, former President’s wife, Mrs. Nixon, who once lives in Artesia and taught business courses at Whittier High School.

This history is being made to preserve records and so it can be used by future historians as a source or by anyone who might want to look at the past.

December 12, 1986
The Portuguese immigrants hold a bull fighting rodeo inside a their community hall at 11903 Ashworth. The building is constructed in the 1970s and called “Divino Espirito Santo.”
January 13, 1987
Teacher Wendy Motoike is teaching English as a second language at Encinitas Elementary School fourth and fifth grade students who recently immigrated from Latin America and Asia. Artesia High School is a magnet high school for linguistic minority students in the AMC Unified School District” with up to 60% of students speaking a language other than English at home. Artesia High School offers “sheltered courses” in “art and driver’s education, to mathematics and history.” Apparently, there are so many “first rate students who speak limited English” that Artesia High “needs a gifted sheltered math class as well." Artesia High School is located at 12108 Del Amo Boulevard in Lakewood.
The State Bank of India opens in Artesia at 18191 Pioneer Boulevard.
Ramesh Mahajan opens the Standard Sweets & Snacks located at 18600 Pioneer Boulevard and creates the Little India Chamber of Commerce. He states the idea of creating Little India came to him in a dream.
Ramesh Mahajan, Founder and President of the Little India Chamber of Commerce, organizes the merchants and proposes to the City Council that a sign be added along the 91 FWY welcoming commuters to "Little India" similar to signs for communities like Little Saigon or Thai Town, but the Council refuses, arguing the city is multicultural and all must be represented or none.
January 19, 1995
Los Angeles Times reporter John Canalis writes about the parking concerns of merchants on Pioneer Boulevard due to the heavy traffic of Little India’s four-block stretch. City Manager Paul J. Phillips claims that retailers are “exaggerating” the area’s parking problems. Canalis reports there are about 90 Indian businesses operating.
July 20, 1997

The Los Angeles Times reports there are over 120 shops along Pioneer Boulevard, making it the second largest Indian enclave in the United States, following Jackson Heights in New York. In addition to highlighting different sources for mehndi, cuisine and clothing, the Times notes the popularity of Indian culture upon American culture--Nicole Kidman wearing 16th century Mogul jewelry at the Academy Awards; Gwen Stefani of No Doubt sporting a bhindi; and Liv Tyler decorated with mehndi in the May issue of Vanity Fair.

As a result, this commercial strip is thriving. According to the article:

"Retail space along Pioneer Boulevard--where 80% of the businesses are already Indian--goes for roughly $2 per square foot, more akin to West Los Angeles than a decidedly unglamorous strip in Southeast L.A.
"Anything that would come up, I could sell it; I have a waiting list," says real estate broker John Sade, who owns a Century 21 brokerage on Pioneer. Sade, a Latino and longtime city businessman, says the Indian community has injected much-needed life into Artesia, a city of 16,500 that is 42% white, 40% Latino, 15% Asian (including Indians) and 3% Black and other, according to the 1990 U.S. census. "They've pretty much taken over redevelopment single-handedly here, and they spend money to make the businesses look nice," Sade says. "They rejuvenated the commercial strip, which was starting to get pretty bad in the late 1970s and early 1980s."

August 16, 1997
A parade along Pioneer Boulevard celebrates India's 50-year Independence from Britain and starts a tradition that continues every year along Pioneer Boulevard.
Ziba Beauty CEO Sumita Batra (daughter of founder Kundan Sabarwal) decorates Madonna’s hands and face with henna for the MTV Video Music Awards.  Madonna claims in the July 1998 issue of Rolling Stone, “When Sumita hennas my hands and feet, I am transported to another time & place – a world of passion, magic and romance.”
December 12, 2001
The Artesia Land Company sets “aside 5 acres of land at the corner of Main Street and Orange Avenue” to honor the plot's 1875 origins as the Artesia School District.
After years of lobbying by local merchants and residents for a sign announcing Little India to commuters on the 91 FWY, Assemblyman Rudy Bermudez wins approval from CALTRANS for signs to be added. The move earns the ire of Artesia City Council members who argue against the move as Artesia has communities representing many ethnicities. According to the Los Angeles Times: "But the move provoked outrage from four of the five City Council members, two of whom say Bermudez never consulted with city officials about it. The argument has become nasty at times, with Bermudez publicly accusing opposing council members of bias against Indian Americans. He said his own phone polling and three public meetings on the subject indicated most people either supported the Little India moniker or didn't care." Bermudez's approval is overturned in part because the City Council vehemently disapproves of the sign and a CALTRANS requirement to abide by local governance.
Artesia participates in the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life Saturday and Sunday at Gahr High School's track, raising around $4,000 for the charity. Some of the participants camp out on school grounds while others walk over in the middle of the night. The Artesia Historical Society celebrates Hank's Coffee Shop by putting its former objects on display in the Firehouse.
June 8, 2005
Douglas Padelford dies due to complications of diabetes. After graduating from Artesia High School he continues his education to the University of Southern California as an architect. Padelford designs the Cerritos Auto Square, Artesia Town Center, the original Cerritos Library and Andy's Nursery (now Armstrong Garden Center). He is a member of the Artesia Planning Commission and the Cerritos Economic Development Commission.
November 26, 2005
The Los Angeles Times reports that Venkatech Koka has solved the ongoing dispute regarding the sign welcoming Little India. According to Teresa Watanabe and Times reporter: "Rather than wait for the city to come around, he has managed to plaster his father's name and family business -- "Krishna Koka's Little India Village" -- on four roadside signs along the 91 and 605 freeways around Artesia. How? Through the state's Adopt-A-Highway program, under which those who help tidy up roadways can be recognized for it. Koka said he paid $1,000 a month for a maintenance service to clean the four stretches of freeway. “This is the way to beat them," he said of Artesia city officials. "If they won't put up a sign, we'll put up ours."" The sign is located on the 91 FWY.
After being in operation since 1952, the Artesia Bakery closes. Begun by the Lakeman Family, the Bakery is a mainstay for old Artesians. The Artesia Historical Society announces it will honor the business. This Dutch bakery is a favorite for many and in 2010 rumors surface on Yelp that the bakery might reopen. The Artesia Bakery is located at 18627 Pioneer Boulevard.
July 2007
The Artesia Christian Church donates a bell found in one of their towers that dates back to 1874 to the Artesia Historical Society. The Artesia Christian Church's last service is on Sunday, June 2010. President of the Historical Society Veronica Bloomfield notes the old bell is actually a schoolhouse bell and formerly is inside the Artesia Grammar School at the founding of the Artesia School District in 1875. The bell is given back to the Artesia Christian Church in 1910. The Historical Society receives a $100,000 grant to renovate the Firehouse in order to display artifacts.
July 2007
The cities of Artesia, Cerritos, Hawaiian Gardens, Lakewood and Norwalk purchase a new flag pole and five military monuments for the Artesia Cemetery.
August 19, 2007
Congresswoman Sanchez and the City of Artesia host the fifth annual Senior Fair at the Artesia Park. Over 1,000 seniors are given access to free blood tests, stroke risk tests, and information on senior benefits, which includes a free lunch and raffle price.
September 2007
The Artesia Park pairs up with the Reflections Car Club to bring a baseball diamond full of cars and a summer concert for the first time ever. Reflections Car Club includes a fee for every entry and donates that money to cancer research and Artesia's Parks and Recreation Department.
September 11, 2008
Assistant Fire Chief David Richardson remembers the tragedy of 9/11 at Artesia with the bell ringing from Holy Family Church immediately after proceedings with a speech. Former Miss Artesia Princess Mary Krystle Viramontes sings the National Anthem and poet Dodie Bedingfield gives a poem to honor the lost lives from several years ago.
September 2008
Artesia is known as one of the Top 10 cities with the greatest percent changed in assessed property valuations as told by Los Angeles County Assessor's 2008 Annual Report. Artesia ranks #9, sharing spots with cities like Beverly Hills, Malibu, West Hollywood, and Pasadena.
May 2009
Artesia's DES Hall located at 11903 Ashworth Street comes under law enforcement scrutiny for its cruelty to animals; after years of celebrating its "bloodless bullfights" as part of the Festa de Bola-- a three day festivity that includes soccer and an arena in which bulls are provoked with long sticks with metal nails to instigate angry behavior for the "bull fight." An officer working with the anti animal cruelty group Animal Cruelty Investigations halts the event with law enforcement and observes " blood and puncture wounds on the bull when the animal was being returned." Many attendees express confusion over the alleged crime as the bull will be slaughtered later for a bbq as part of the festival.
May 2010
The Los Angeles Times reports on the decades old Filipino restaurant noted for its use of pork called the Magic Wok. It is located at 11869 Artesia Boulevard.
May 2011
There is an increase in service providers for South Asian seniors in Artesia including the launch of programs like NAAN -- named like the Indian bread -- it is also an acronym for Neighborhood Activities and Nutrition.
"Father School" is conducted in Artesia as a program to help Christian Korean immigrant men understand their American off-spring and become more "emotionally available." Father School dates to 1990s from Seoul and is held in 57 cities across the United States, including Artesia. The program involves four sessions of five hours and costs $120.